Thursday, June 28, 2012

Test Your Listening Skills

by Betty Lochner

Answer these questions by grading your Listening Behaviors.  Read the questions and think about whether or not the statements are true of you.

If the statement is always true of you, note the answer is ALWAYS.
If the state is not always true of you, note the answer is SOMETIMES.
RARELy would indicate that you would rarely or never listen that way.

1. I allow speakers to complete sentences before I speak.
2. I make sure I understand the other's person's point of view before I respond.
3. I listen for the speaker's important points.
4. I try to understand the speaker's feelings.
5. I attempt to visualize my reponse before I speak.
6. I visualize the solution before speaking.
7. I am in control, relaxed, and calm when listening.
8. I use listening noises such as yes, gee, I see.
9. I take notes when someone else is speaking.
10. I listen with an open mind.
11. I listen even if the other person is not interesting.
12. I listen even if the other person is a moron.
13. I look directly at the person speaking.
14. I am patient when I listen.
15. I ask questions to be sure I understand the speaker.
16. I do not allow distractions to bother me when I listen.

Grading Information
If you have mostly ALWAYS (14 to16)  you are an excellent listener. Good for you!
If you marked ALWAYS for 11 to 13 statements, you are a good listener but could use some help in a few areas.  Go back over the questions and see where those areas are.
If you marked ALWAYS for 7 to 10 statements, you are a fair listener.  You need to listen more and talk less.
If you marked ALWAYS for 4 to 6 statements you are a poor listener.  Less than 4 indicated an extremely poor listener and you really need to btush up on your active listening skills.

Please give us a call if you scored less than 13 statements with ALWAYS, we can help you improve your listening skills.  Our knowledgeable therapists can be reached at 954-800-0108.

No comments:

Post a Comment