Monday, March 5, 2012

What's communication got to do with it?

But communication is two-sided - vital and profound communication makes demands also on those who are to receive it... demands in the sense of concentration, of genuine effort to receive what is being communicated. ~Roger Sessions.

In every type of relationship, business, partner, or friend, communication is an integral part. Just like the beginning of the quote posted, communication is two-sided. One, there is a sender. And two, a receiver. Both of these parts are equally important when communicating. Sending a message to a person can take the form of many communication styles.

Today, the focus is on assertive communication. Assertive communication is the most healthiest communication style. Here are some examples of assertive communication statements: " I would like to know when it would be a good time to discuss the finances. I am a little concerned." "I thought you were brilliant tonight." "I know you like fish, but I prefer steak tonight for dinner." I hope you noticed the sentences began with "I." These are known as I-statements. I statements allow for an individual to express their beliefs and feelings without being judged or attacked. The I-statement is about "you" not the person you are speaking to. I-statements are most effective when being with "I" because it allows for ownership. Here are some more examples: "I feel..." "I want..." "I think..."

Changing the grammatical structure of your sentence is equally as important as your tone of voice. Be careful that your tone is not reactive or intense, because this could come across as "blaming" and can "undo" your I-statement. If you need help with learning more about communicating with others, please contact our Licensed Clinical Social Workers at 954-800-0108.

Next week, the second part of communication will be addressed, listening. (I'm sorry speak up I didn't hear you. )

No comments:

Post a Comment